Aoraki Mount Cook & Lord of the Rings Country
View the highest mountain of New Zealand, Aoraki Mount Cook
Experience New Zealand on board a luxury helicopter
Fly home through Lord of the Rings country and see the spectacular film sites
use in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Alpine landing, seasonal snow
Capture many photos and memories
per adult from
What's included :
- Landing and facility fees
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Garden City Helicopters, 73 Grays Road Near Christchurch International Airport, Christchurch 8042 New Zealand
Check in and weighing of passengers. Meet your pilot and be given an extensive helicopter safety briefing. Toilet stop before departing.
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Canterbury Region, Canterbury Region, South Island
Depart south towards Aoraki Mount Cook. you'll first head over the fertile farmland of the Canterbury Plain, view the variation of farming activity in the fields below from sheep & dairy farming to crops.
Pass By: Southern Alps, Canterbury 7999, New Zealand
The mighty Southern Alps is a mountain range extending along much of the length of New Zealand's South Island. The mountain ranges are bisected by glacial valleys, many of which are infilled with glacial lakes on the eastern side
Pass By: Lake Pukaki, New Zealand
Lake Pukaki, Lake Tekapo and others in the Mackenzie region. All three lakes were formed when the terminal moraines of receding glaciers blocked their respective valleys, forming moraine-dammed lakes. The glacial feed to the lakes gives them a distinctive blue colour, created by glacial flour, the extremely finely ground rock particles from the glaciers
Stop At: Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Mackenzie District, Canterbury Region, South Island
Touch down atop the mountain ledge of Liebig Dome, which overlooks New Zealand's tallest mountain. Liebig Dome has a front-row seat to gaze upon Mount Cook, Sir Edmond Hillary’s training ground for Everest. Aoraki, its Maori name stands at some 12,218ft feet above sea level, its neighbour Mount Tasman at 11,476. Experience the beauty of the region at 8,000 ft above sea level. Capture the moment with a photo or simply to take in the stunning views. Seasonal snow landing only.
Duration: 20 minutes
Pass By: Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Mackenzie District, Canterbury Region, South Island
Back on the helicopter, fly over the Tasman Glacier, called Haupapa in Maori, which is the largest glacier in New Zealand at nearly 15 miles long and 2,000 feet thick. Return to Christchurch via the mountains and mighty rivers.
Pass By: Mount Potts Street, Ashburton Lakes 7771, New Zealand
Edoras was the capital city of Rohan. Otherwise known to the locals at Mount Sunday in the upper reaches of the Rangitata river. Edoras was where Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, and Gandalf met with King Théoden.
Pass By: Mackenzie District, Mackenzie District, Canterbury Region, South Island
Near Twizel in the Mackenzie Country, the epic battle on Pelennor Fields, where thousands of orcs bred by Sauron clashed with the men of Gondor and Rohan on the grassy fields that stretch to the foothills of the mountains. Lake Pukaki and the mountain background provided the scene for the warg chase in An Unexpected Journey.
Departure Point :73 Grays Road, Yaldhurst, Christchurch 8042, New Zealand
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Wheelchair accessible
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years, ID must be carried
- A minimum of 2 paying passengers per booking is required
- There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Wheelchair accessible - if assistance is required, passenger must provide their own care person and a fare paid for them. Pilot may be unable to lift customer.
- Please provide a cell phone number for us to contact you on
- reconfirmation of booking is required 24 hours prior to departure by calling 03 3584360
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- If snow is present on the landing site it will be soft and require good mobility to move around
- Please carry any essential medication with you on your flight.
- Please advise pilot of any medical conditions that may require urgent care if you fall ill whilst travelling with us.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- New Zealand Covid 19 tracer app can be used at our reception and are onboard our helicopters. Manual check in option is also available Please carry a facemask and use when required
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start time of the experience.