Auckland Coastal Experience
There’s the pleasant, placid, white-sand beaches of the east coast, but for the genuine coastal connoisseur, the real action is out west.
New Zealand’s coasts and their accompanying beaches couldn’t be further alike if they tried. On the east, you can enjoy sinking your toes into pristine white sand before taking a dip into calm and clear waters. On the west, beach-goers will discover endless stretches of black, sparkling sands on the cusp of wild waves. Auckland, based around 2 large harbours, is a major city in the north of New Zealand’s North Island. In the centre, the iconic Sky Tower has views of Viaduct Harbour, which is full of superyachts and lined with bars and cafes.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Visit to Mt. Eden Volcanic Summit
- Visit to Auckland Domain
- Visit to Bastion Point
- Visit to Achilles Point
- Drive through Tamaki Drive
- Fully guided return transfers from Auckland
- Complimentary pick up and drop off from Auckland CBD
- Complimentary refreshments and water on board
- Access to Wi-Fi on board for a small surcharge
- Entry to Arataki Visitor Centre
- A local English-speaking tour escort throughout the tour
- Luxurious temperature controlled transportation
- Rainforests of the Waitakere Ranges
- Piha Beach, Lookout, and Lion Rock
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Access off Hillside Crescent Mount Eden Road, Auckland Central, Auckland 1024 New Zealand
The Mt. Eden walk is an easy 2k walk that will take you around 1 hour to complete. Just 5 km from down town Auckland it's the highest volcano in Auckland on Mt Eden. The last eruption was about 15,000 years ago, leaving a crater 50 metres deep. Walk to the top of Mt Eden Volcano, there you'll get a 360° view of Auckland so long as the rain stays away.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Auckland Domain, Park Road, Auckland Central, Auckland New Zealand
Besides the beautiful surroundings, entering Auckland Domain will surprise you at how big it is, and how many beautiful spots there are to just sit down and relax! Also, there is a duck pond which has a fountain in it, and that makes for happy ducks! The excellent Auckland Museum is also found within Auckland Domain. Sitting on the green grass surrounded by the pink flowers, you could only hear the birds and feel the gentle wind blow your face.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Bastion Point, Hapimana Street, Mission Bay, Auckland 1071 New Zealand
Bastion Point offers magnificent views out over the Hauraki Gulf and Waitematā Harbour, as well as back to central Auckland. It’s one of the best places in Auckland to take photos of the skyline and harbour. As the name suggests, its position overlooking the harbour makes it an ideal defence point for the city. The Māori name for this area is Takaparawhā. This scenic area includes the Savage Memorial, which commemorates Michael Joseph Savage, one of New Zealand’s most beloved prime ministers.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Achilles Point, Cliff Road St Heliers Bay, Auckland Central, Auckland 2004 New Zealand
Achilles Point was originally named Te Pane o Horoiwi (the head of Horoiwi) due to the Maori history of the site. It was renamed by the council in 1940 in honour of the New Zealand crewed ship HMS Achilles. The HMS Achilles defeated the German cruiser Graf Spee in the 1939 Battle of the River Plate, the first major naval battle of World War II. Achilles Point has great views of the Waitemata Harbour, and of course the Gulf Islands. Not so much a venue for actvities, but the views say it all..
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Tamaki Drive, Tamaki, Auckland Central, Auckland New Zealand
Coastal Drive through Kohimarama, Mission Bay and Tamaki Drive before proceeding to Auckland’s west coast. Reaching Mission Bay at lunch time allows to explore a fantastic selection of cafes and restaurants and to spend time at the east coast beaches or jump on a scooter to ride through Auckland’s Waterfront.
Stop At: Arataki Visitor Centre - Waitakere Ranges, 300 Scenic Drive, Nihotupu, Piha, Auckland 0604 New Zealand
In just 30 minutes you leave behind the bustle of the city and step into the tranquility of the rain forest. The hills of the Waitakere’s are actually remnants of ancient volcanoes. Many New Zealand native trees and plants grow here, and driving along the road you are often passing through thick forest. The rain forest is a favourite place for day-trippers and hikers as there are numerous bush walks there.
Travel to the Arataki visitor centre, an information centre built high on the ridge of the Waitakere Ranges. From here you get breathtaking panoramic views across the rain forest to Auckland’s two harbours. The visitors centre is also home to some traditional Maori carvings and your guide will talk about them and explain their significance for the area.
The Waitakere Ranges is also where one of Auckland’s major water supplies is located and is a perfect start to exploring the west coast.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Piha Beach, Piha, Auckland New Zealand
We stop at a stunning viewpoint overlooking Piha beach and the Tasman Sea before going down to the black sand beach. There you get the chance to stroll along one of the most awe-inspiring beaches the world has to offer and watch the surf waves rolling in.
Piha is popular with experienced surfers, but it’s also a wonderful spot for picnics, relaxing walks and swims – under the watchful eye of the famous Piha Surf Club. See Lion Rock, a small island that stands in the middle of the beach.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Grand Mercure Auckland, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Common Pickup Location in Auckland City:Grand Mercure Hotel, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.