Auckland Escape Experience - Overnight [2 Day Tour]
Get to know Auckland’s past and present with day tour of its scenic city highlights on the first day followed by Hobbiton Movie Set day tour, the award-winning attraction made famous by the popular Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies where you'll see the intricately created 'Hobbit holes' the Green Dragon Inn, the Party Tree and so much more cinematic magic! Along with an open-air museum of the history of gardens, where you can travel through time and see how gardens have grown (literally) and evolved around the world.
What's included :
- Accommodation included: 1 night
- Fully guided return transfers from Auckland
- Complimentary pick up and drop off from Auckland CBD
- Complimentary refreshments and water on board
- A local English-speaking tour escort throughout the journey
- Luxurious temperature controlled transportation in a minibus
- Admission to Auckland museum guided experience
- Admission to Auckland city highlight spots
- Auckland Harbour Bridge, Devonport and Parnell Village
- Auckland Waterfront, Bastion Point, Mission Bay, Tamaki Drive and Achilles Point
- Admission to 2 hour fully guided experience at Hobbiton movie set
- Complimentary Hobbiton beverages - Ale, cider, ginger beer or an English beer
- Admission to themed Hamilton garden
- Discover Auckland's highlights including Queen Street, the CBD, Auckland University, & the Domain
- Cruise through the city to Tamaki Drive, Auckland Domain, the suburb of Parnell
- Take in stunning views at Auckland's iconic vistas including Achilles point and Bastion Point
- Visit the Auckland Museum to learn about New Zealand's impressive history
- Enjoy one of the largest Maori and Pacific Island collections in the world
- Visit the North Shore and Mt Victoria for incredible views looking back to the city
- Remarkable 360-degree views of the rolling Kaimai Range
- Chance to step into a real The Lord of the Rings film set
- Opportunity to have a drink at the cosy Green Dragon Inn
- Amazing photo opportunities in front of every hobbit hole
- Explore the multi award winning Hamilton Gardens
- Entry/Admission - Winter Garden Auckland Domain
- Entry/Admission - Auckland Museum
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
- Entry/Admission - Hamilton Gardens
What's excluded :
- Admission to Sea Life Aquarium
- Access to Wi-Fi on board for a small surcharge
- Hand-picked accommodation, selected to immerse you in your destination
- Child safety car seat rental NZD $50.00 plus booking fees payable directly (with 24 hours’ notice).
Day 1: Auckland City Highlights Experience & Overnight Stay in Auckland
Stop At: Bastion Point, Hapimana Street, Mission Bay, Auckland 1071 New Zealand
Bastion Point offers magnificent views out over the Hauraki Gulf and Waitematā Harbour, as well as back to central Auckland. It’s one of the best places in Auckland to take photos of the skyline and harbour. As the name suggests, its position overlooking the harbour makes it an ideal defence point for the city. The Māori name for this area is Takaparawhā. This scenic area includes the Savage Memorial, which commemorates Michael Joseph Savage, one of New Zealand’s most beloved prime ministers.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Achilles Point, Cliff Road St Heliers Bay, Auckland Central, Auckland 2004 New Zealand
Achilles Point was originally named Te Pane o Horoiwi (the head of Horoiwi) due to the Maori history of the site. It was renamed by the council in 1940 in honour of the New Zealand crewed ship HMS Achilles. The HMS Achilles defeated the German cruiser Graf Spee in the 1939 Battle of the River Plate, the first major naval battle of World War II. Achilles Point has great views of the Waitemata Harbour, and of course the Gulf Islands. Not so much a venue for actvities, but the views say it all..
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Winter Garden Auckland Domain, 20 Park Road, Auckland Central, Auckland 1023 New Zealand
Venture a little further and enter the Winter Garden at the Auckland Domain which is a treasure of great historic interest. Established after World War I and is a protected heritage site consisting of two display glass houses containing temperate plants and tropical plants, a formal courtyard with pond, and a fernery within an old quarry.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Auckland Museum, The Auckland Domain, Parnell, Auckland Central, Auckland 1010 New Zealand
About 5 minute walk from the winter garden café is our Auckland war memorial museum. Get a glimpse into Māori culture, which takes you on a journey through the story of Aotearoa (New Zealand). The museum is the only venue in Auckland providing daily Māori cultural performances. The museum's performance is recognised as being one of the best in New Zealand and culminates with a moving version of the world-famous haka, a war dance.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Mount Victoria Reserve, Kerr Street, Devonport, Auckland New Zealand
Drive through Auckland City’s Iconic Harbour bridge and Visit Mt. Victoria located in Devonport. It’s easily accessible by foot and the walk typically takes around 10-20 minutes – depending on how many times you stop and admire the views! At the summit of Mount Victoria you’ll find one of Devonport’s disappearing guns, one of only a few left in the world. Historically, Mt. Victoria has a number of artillery emplacements and various concrete bunkers, one of which is now a music venue for the Devonport Folk Club. Loved by locals and visitors, Mount Victoria is one of the best vantage points in all of Auckland. Enjoy spectacular views of the Auckland City Skyline and the stunning Waitemata Harbour – have your camera ready!
Duration: 1 hour
No meals included on this day.
Accommodation included: Accommodation is not included. ExperienceKart can arrange this for you (added cost) or you can choose to book your own.
Day 2: Hobbiton Movie Set Tour, Hamilton Gardens and return to Auckland
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Experience the real Middle-earth with a visit to the Hobbiton Movie Set, featured in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films. The Hobbiton Movie Set Tour is where Peter Jackson filmed his famous Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies. Once we arrive, you spend 30-45 mins shopping in the official Hobbiton Gift Shop and grabbing a drink or a bite in the famous Shire’s Rest Cafe. Your guided tour starts on a Hobbiton tour bus with a drive through New Zealand's picturesque 1,250 acre sheep farm with spectacular views across to the Kaimai Ranges. Take a look at Bag End, where Frodo and Bilbo’s adventures began. Get lost among the hobbit holes and visit the Green Dragon Inn, the mill and the Party Tree. Listen to spell-binding tales of how Hobbiton came to be.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Hamilton Gardens, Hungerford Crescent Cobham Drive, Hamilton 3216 New Zealand
Within a short drive from hobbiton movie set, this Hamilton Gardens is located alongside an attractive stretch of the Waikato River, merging old landscape features with creative development and design. An award-winning public garden and the Waikato’s most popular visitor attraction. Hamilton Gardens is the most visited tourist attraction in Waikato. It tells the Story of Gardens through themed gardens. The Paradise Garden Collection includes gardens that represent China, England, Japan, America, Italy and India. Each garden is highly individual with a totally different design philosophy. Highlights include the Indian Char Bagh Garden, Italian Renaissance Garden, Chinese Scholars’ Garden and more. Experience the beauty and tranquil water of the Waikato River on the floating Cafe runs from Hamilton Gardens with the best views in the Waikato and enjoy a relaxing cruise on New Zealand's longest waterway flowing through Hamilton, New Zealand's largest inland city.
Duration: 1 hour
No meals included on this day.
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Grand Mercure Auckland, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Common Pickup Location: Grand Mercure Hotel, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- COVID-19 precautions -Safety measures in place. All areas that exposed to customers are frequently cleaned & sanitised.
- Tours operate in all weather conditions; umbrellas are provided in the event of rain in Hobbiton
- There is uneven terrain on the set; approximately 75% is wheelchair accessible
- We are able to accommodate a stroller or a pram, provided it is fully collapsible and can fit in the luggage compartment of our buses.
- The only way to access the Hobbiton Movie Set is with a guided tour
- Souvenir photos are available for purchase after your tour
- Tours are suitable for people of all ages and average fitness. Our scenic walks are short and optional. Please let our guide know at check in if you have any fitness concerns.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
- Please wear comfortable clothing suitable for the conditions, walking shoes, sun protection, jacket/warm layer & essential personal items.
- Bring a camera or a phone with camera capability as Hobbiton is the perfect place to get some great travel photos.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and present a valid photo ID in order to consume alcohol.
- Easy and good fitness level required
- This is a guided walking tour and sensible walking footwear is recommended
- You must be able to climb and descend stairs and walk on unpaved or uneven terrain.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required for travelers
- COVID-19 vaccination required for guides
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.