Bay of Islands Shore Excursion: Cultural Maori War Canoe Guided Tour
Enjoy this memorable shore excursion from where your cruise ship tenders in Paihia. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to delve into the Northern Maori culture from the Ngapuhi confederation of tribes, New Zealand’s largest tribal nation by using the living landscapes and environment as the setting and natural backdrop for your tour.
The best part of your 3 hour tour is done in a Waka taua (traditional Maori war canoe) built from a mixture of composite and traditional materials. You will also view a Marae (meeting ground), historical sites and learn the age old art of storytelling to share the traditions, customs and the compelling stories of the bygone era.
The activities are both interactive and educational where you will learn the ceremonial chants and haka of the magnificent Waka taua while absorbing the breath-taking natural and stunning beauty of the Waitangi river tidal estuaries, its rain-forest and the cultural living landscapes.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional, local guide
- Sightseeing Waka Tour
What's excluded :
- Bottled water
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Paihia Harbour, Paihia New Zealand
We depart on our Waka paddling down and exploring our way through the peaceful, tranquil estuaries of the Waitangi river. This interactive Waka experience will provide you with a rare and unique insight into our ancient customs and rituals and traditions.
We stop under the magnificent Haruru Falls where you will be able to be many magical photo opportunities that will last a life time.
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :Waitangi River Boat Ramp, Te Karuwha Parade, Waitangi 0293, New Zealand
Departure Time :8:45 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Children 5 years and under are unable to take this tour unless parents or guardians take full responsibility if their child is not safely restrained.
- Stroller accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 32 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.