Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti- Guided tour from Christchurch
Small-group tour including lunch, transport and a local guide to Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti.
Morning - Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti
Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti is an amazing labyrinth of giant limestone boulders. The area is rich with cultural and recreational significance and has been granted Tōpuni status “A symbolic cloak of protection”.
Your guide will show you around, if you like you can have a go at bouldering and test your climbing skills, or use your time here to explore the endless maze of boulders. We stop here for lunch at Castle Hill.
Afternoon - Cave Stream
It will take us approximately 45mins to make our way through the 594 meters of the limestone cave. Our route follows the crystal-clear water through the winding chambers and small waterfalls.
Not interested in caving? Nom problem your welcome to explore the paths and trails in the area or sit and relax with some afternoon tea in this very peaceful landscape instead of going through the cave.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Private transportation
What's excluded :
Leaving Christchurch, we head west towards the mountains across the flat farmland of the Canterbury Plains. After 45mins we make a stop in the small farming town of Darfield. We will provide lunch and afternoon tea, but you might like to sample some kiwi cuisine or pick up a coffee from the local bakery.
Continuing our journey across the plains, we pass through another small town of Springfield, stopping briefly at the town's iconic giant doughnut statue for a photo.
From Springfield, it's a 45-minute drive along "the Great Alpine Highway" over the mountains to Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti conservation area. The road takes us over Porters Pass (900 mts), past Lake Lyndon and through some High Country stations (large farms) before reaching our destination.
Castle Hill/Kura Tawhiti is a maze of massive limestone boulders that sit in the heart of the Southern Alps. Once the area once covered with an inland ocean now sits at 600mts above sea level. The area is protected by Tōpuni status "A symbolic cloak of protection" to preserve and acknowledge the area.
After lunch, you have some free time before meeting back at the carpark at 2:30 pm and returning to Christchurch.
• Castle Hill, Castle Hill, Canterbury Region, South Island
• Kura Tawhiti Conservation Area, Castle Hill, 7580 New Zealand
• Darfield, Darfield, Canterbury Region, South Island
• Springfield, Springfield, Canterbury Region, South Island
Departure Point :Princess Margaret Hospital, Canterbury 8022, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
We also have a pick-up point outside the Canterbury Museum on Rolleston Ave, in the city centre.Ports
- The Lyttelton Harbour Information Centre, 20 Oxford Street, Lyttelton 8082, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.