Cooking Experience at Tawa Forest with Whakatau Ceremony
Makue! Kai E! - A Twilight Experience
A warm whakatau welcome marks entry into our Tawa forest village and evening celebrating our connection to our land, forests and waterways and each other.
Together we'll prepare dinner before delicious morsels are shared in the village forest. Buttery corn cobs, boil up broth, mussels and smoked fish join seasonal delicacies.
In the Pā Mānawa –enjoy a pre-dinner drink and soak in the buzz in the heart of the village.
Your Puku Burger is served with fresh salad, produce, and herbs.
Kapahaka and impromptu “around the globe” performance kick start the entertainment, followed by a live musical soundscape for your alfresco feast.
When dinner concludes, wander by lantern light for dessert in a secret forest alcove. Share in the magical firelight - before returning to Rotorua.
This tour is a bespoke experience tailored to our guests!
per adult from
3 hours 5 minutes
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Coffee and/or Tea - Refreshing kawakawa sparkling cold brews, Coffee, Tea & water is included
- Knowledgeable guide
- Award winning Kapa Haka performers & live music
What's excluded :
- Departure from Tamaki Gathering Place, 1220 Hinemaru Street, Rotorua
Arrive to Tamaki Māori Village
Whakatau - Welcome Ceremony
Interactive dinner making - Puku Burger, help prepare your own fried bread burger
Entry into Te Tawa Ngahere Pā, feast on Māori syle canapés & tasters, village
interaction, traditional past times & Kapahaka, live music
Complimentary welcome drink with dinner
Dessert around our village bonfire, sharing & storytelling
Depart & Return to Rotorua
• Tamaki Maori Village, 1220 Hinemaru St, Rotorua 3010 New Zealand
• Māori style canapés and tasters - Buttery corn cobs, boil up broth, mussels and smoked fish join seasonal delicacies like pikopiko – even huhu grubs when we can catch em!
• Fried Bread Puku Burger - Fried bread & a selection of meats cooked on the BBQ grill, chicken, beef, vegan or Halloumi, fries, Horopito aioli, relishes, dressings & salads.
Departure Point :1220 Hinemaru Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
Departure Time :5:40 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 70 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.