Guided Forest Tour of Sanctuary Mountain
Sanctuary Mountain® Maungatautari is a mainland ecological island located in the North Island of New Zealand where you can experience the ancient feel of an old-growth, native forest protected from introduced pests by the world’s longest multi-species predator-proof fence.
Your guided forest walk will be enriched as you are accompanied by one of our passionate and knowledgeable guides who will share the stories of Sanctuary Mountain® with you as you explore the beautiful walking tracks of Te Tūī a Tāne - the Southern Enclosure.
Take in the majesty of our indigenous forest and try to spot the numerous bird species which make the maunga - mountain their home. Spend time in the clearing where our kākā like to hang out and take an optional walk up the viewing tower for a unique perspective of the forest canopy from above.
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Local taxes
- Entry/Admission - Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Food and drinks
- Your guided tour will depart from the Sanctuary Mountain® Maungatautari visitor centre. Here your guide will intoduce you to the project and you will have the opportunity to see how our multi-species predator-proof fence keeps pests away.
Your group will gather to hear the history of the project before entering Te Tūī a Tāne - the southern enclosure of the forest. As you make your way along the paths of the sanctuary's ancient, vibrant, pest-free forest your guide will share stories of the 'maunga' mountain, along with their intimate knowledge of it's fauna and native wildlife, including many of New Zealand’s rarest and most endangered insects, birds and fish.
Further into the forest you can climb the lookout tower which is a 16m high platform in the tree tops. Here you can view the forest from the upper canopy and listen to the sounds of the forest and marvel at it's biodiversity. You may have an opprtunity to meet our resident kaka, New Zealand's native parrot. These cheeky characters like to get up close.
From here you may choose to make your own way out of the forest, or stroll back with your guide, to the visitor centre where you can use the facilities, relax and take in the view. Here you will find informative displays and information about other guided tours and events at Sanctuary Mountain®. You can also purchase refreshments and souvenirs, with all proceeds going towards conservation projects on the 'maunga' mountain.
Departure Point :Pukeatua, Waikato
Return Detail :Guided tour ends back at the Visitor Centre.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please arrive a minimum of 10 minutes prior to departure
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wear sensible walking footwear
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.