Hamilton Gardens New Zealand Guided Tour
Fifty years ago Hamilton Gardens was a sand quarry and the city’s rubbish dump. It was covered in weeds, mud and household rubbish.
Since then it has gradually been transformed into 21 award winning gardens, each with a unique theme that tells the story of gardens.
Guided tours explore the rather mysterious world of Hamilton Gardens.
per adult from
1 hour 15 minutes
What's included :
- Tour escort/host
- 10% discount voucher to use that day in the gift shop
- Entry/Admission - Hamilton Gardens
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Visit: Hamilton Gardens, Hungerford Crescent Cobham Drive, Hamilton 3216 New Zealand
Hamilton Gardens is one of Waikato’s most visited attractions, with approximately one million visitors each year.
Forty years ago Hamilton Gardens was a bleak landscape. It was the site of a former Victorian rifle range and dog dosing station, covered in blackberries with seagulls circling above. It was the city’s rubbish dump. Today, the Gardens has 21 themed gardens on 54 hectares alongside the Waikato River.
Telling the story of gardens through themed garden collections, Hamilton Gardens explores different civilizations, and recreates historically important garden styles from the farthest reaches of the world. Hamilton Gardens is not a botanical garden. Instead, its unique and internationally recognized concept has been compared to a museum. Each garden collection has historic integrity and provides a window into the story of civilizations, their arts, beliefs and lifestyles.
Guides who will share the ‘inside story’ of how Hamilton Gardens was transformed from a rubbish dump into an internationally significant garden and take visitors on a journey of discovery along paths delivering mysterious surprises: step from a peaceful Sung Dynasty Chinese Scholar’s Garden into an Italian Renaissance Garden, before being enthralled by the grandeur of the Indian Char Bagh (‘four quartered’) Garden.
Guided tours leave the Hamilton Gardens Information Centre at 11am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Tours take approximately 1.15 hours.
Departure Point :Hamilton Gardens, Hungerford Crescent Cobham Drive, Hamilton 3216 New Zealand
Departure Time :11:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum of 2 people per booking
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.