Hobbiton Movie Set and Waitomo Glowworm Caves Day Trip from Auckland
Join this tour to visit two of New Zealand’s most famous attractions, Hobbiton Movie Set and Waitomo Caves, in one easy day trip from Auckland. Be fascinated as the magical world of Hobbiton comes to life and take photos in front of your favourite places like the Hobbit Holes, the Shire and the Green Dragon Inn. Then journey to the World Famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves and be captivated by the thousands of magical glowworms twinkling in the Grottos, the stalactites and stalagmites as you glide silently through the cave by boat. Marvel at the stunning scenery en route as we journey off the motorways into the real hinterland of New Zealand. All admission fees and lunch included.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Small-group tour (maximum of 14)
- Kiwi café-style lunch
- Local driver/guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from downtown Auckland City
- Local taxes
- Admission ticket: Hobbiton and Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
- Entry/Admission - Waitomo Glowworm Caves
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Auckland Scenic Tours, Auckland Central, Auckland 1052 New Zealand
After leaving Auckland you will travel south over the Bombay Hills as you get elevated panoramic views of the Waikato Region and travel across the scenic Hauraki Plains to Matamata, the home of Hobbiton Movie Set.
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Begin with a tour through the picturesque 1,250 acre sheep farm with spectacular views across the Kaimai Ranges. Your guide will escort you through the 10 acre site recounting fascinating details of how the Hobbiton Movie Set was created. Hobbit Holes, The Green Dragon Inn, The Mill and other structures can be viewed and you will see how this beautiful piece of Waikato farmland was transformed into the Shire from Middle-earth. Complimentary specially brewed beverages are available at the Green Dragon Inn as you complete your tour
Afterwards, enjoy a very “Kiwi” style lunch at the "Shire's Rest" and get to share stories from Hobbiton and interact with your fellow travellers.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Waitomo Glowworm Caves, 39 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo Caves 3943 New Zealand
You will then travel to the mesmerizing Waitomo Glowworm Caves. Be amazed by the thousands of magical glowworms as you glide silently by boat in the world famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves. Your guide on this 45-minute tour will likely be a descendant of the Maori Chief who originally explored the Caves and can share with you the remarkable history of the area. Walk through the majestic Cathedral Cave famous for its acoustics
Your return trip to Auckland will then take you initially through some of New Zealand’s most beautiful countryside before following northwards the majestic Waikato River, the longest river in New Zealand, part of the way back to Auckland. You will pass Ngaruawahia, the home of the Maori King; Taupiri with its very sacred Maori burial ground.
To complete that day, you will be taken back to your hotel in the Auckland CBD.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
All centrally Located Auckland hotels, BNBs, Backpacker Hotels in the Central Business District. Any of the following or others in the Central Business DistrictAdina ApartmentsAmoraAscotia off QueenAuckland City HotelAuckland Harbour Oaks and ResidencesBackpackers-all CBD locationsBarclay SuitesCity LifeCopthorneCordisCrowne PlazaDe BrettsDilworthEconolodgeEmpire ApartmentsGrand ChancellorGrand MercureGrand MilleniumGrand WindsorHaka Hotel & Suites, 2 Day Street (only)Haka LodgeHeritageHiltonIbis City (Wyndham)Jucy SnoozeKiwi InternationalMetropolis (Avani Metropolis)MSocialPresident HotelPrinces Wharf ApartmentsPullmanQuadrant Hotel & SuitesQuest (all CBD locations)RamadaRydgesScenicSebel (both Viaduct Harbour and Quay West)Sky City GrandSky City HotelSofitelStamford PlazaStar Park Apartments, 30B Swanson StStar Queen Apartments, 438 Queen StreetStar Victoria Apartments, 64 Federal StreetSwiss bel SuitesVR Auckland CityVR QueenWaldorf (Nesuto) -all in the Downtown CBD areaWaterloo QuadrantYHA Backpackers
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 4 years
- A maximum of 14 people per booking (We can provide this tour to groups larger than 14 by discussions with Viator and ourselves)
- A small amount of easy walking is involved
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.