Hobbiton Movie Set Tour & Buried Village Experience
Walk into the real-world landscape of Middle Earth on a walking tour of the Hobbiton™ Movie Set, where you get a behind-the-scenes look at ‘The Lord of the Rings’ and ‘The Hobbit, the Green Dragon Inn, the Party Tree and so much more cinematic magic! Continue visiting the iconic archaeologic site of New Zealand and listen to the haunting echoes of the past at the buried village of Te Wairoa, New Zealand’s most visited archaeological site where stories of the 1886 Mt. Tarawera volcanic Eruption come to life and telling tales of the 8th Wonder of the World, the Pink and White Terraces.
per adult from
What's included :
- Fully guided return transfers from Auckland
- Complimentary pick up and drop off from Auckland CBD
- Complimentary refreshments and water on board
- A local English-speaking tour escort throughout the tour
- Luxurious temperature controlled transportation in a minibus
- Admission to 2 hour fully guided experience at Hobbiton movie set
- Complimentary Hobbiton beverages -Ale, cider, ginger beer or an English beer
- Admission to the buried Village of Te Wairoa
- Access to Te Wairoa Trail and Waterfalls
- Join the official guided tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set
- Listen to fascinating stories from your guide as you explore the 12-acre set
- Remarkable 360-degree views of the rolling Kaimai Range
- Chance to step into a real The Lord of the Rings film set
- See where major scenes were filmed and discover behind-the-scene secrets
- Opportunity to have a drink at the cosy Green Dragon Inn
- Encounter the award winning Museum of Te Wairoa exhibition
- View the extensive collection of excavated objects from the 1800’s
- Explore the archaeological sites which reveal the devastation
- Take the beautiful waterfall trail which showcases the stunning Te Wairoa Falls
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
- Entry/Admission - Buried Village of Te Wairoa
What's excluded :
- Access to Wi-Fi on board for a small surcharge
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Experience the real Middle-earth with a visit to the Hobbiton Movie Set, featured in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films. The Hobbiton Movie Set Tour is where Peter Jackson filmed his famous Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies. Our tour starts by from Auckland city centre from where we pick you up from, then you’ll enjoy a two-hour scenic drive South of Auckland into Waikato, with a scenic stop or two for taking picturesque photos of New Zealand's lush countryside.
Once we arrive, you spend 30-45 mins shopping in the official Hobbiton Gift Shop and grabbing a drink or a bite in the famous Shire’s Rest Cafe. Your guided tour starts on a Hobbiton tour bus with a drive through New Zealand's picturesque 1,250 acre sheep farm with spectacular views across to the Kaimai Ranges. Take a look at Bag End, where Frodo and Bilbo’s adventures began. Get lost among the hobbit holes and visit the Green Dragon Inn, the mill and the Party Tree.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Buried Village of Te Wairoa, 1180 Tarawera Road RD 5 Rotorua, Rotorua 3076 New Zealand
A visit to the Buried Village encompasses Rotorua's most scenic drive and starting with the Redwood Forest walking and bike trails (5 minutes from city), Redwood Treewalk (voted NZ's #1 tree-top bridge walk by Tourism NZ), Blue and Green Lakes freedom walk (10 minutes from city), Start of the Tarawera Trail (a 14 km freedom tramp to Hot water Beach) just 15 minutes from city, Buried Village and Te Wairoa Waterfall (just 20 minutes from city) and then to the Lake Tarawera Landing (just 30 minutes from city) where you can catch a water-taxi for a lake cruise to either Hot-water beach or to the trail that leads to Tarawera Falls (voted NZ's #1 waterfall by Department of Conservation). The Tarawera Waterfall trail is a comfortable 90 minute trek from the shores of Lake Tarawera into the Tarawera native bush area.
After you finish your amazing tour experience, we make our way through the scenic roads of Waikato back to Auckland CBD.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Mövenpick Hotel Auckland, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New ZealandTraveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :06:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
- Moderate level of fitness is required and comfortable shoes with a good grip.
- Please wear comfortable clothing suitable for the conditions, walking shoes, Sun protection, jacket/warm layer, and bring a camera & any essential personal items.
- This is a guided walking tour and sensible walking footwear is recommended.
- You must be able to climb and descend stairs and walk on unpaved or uneven terrain.
- Bring a camera or a phone with camera capability as Hobbiton is the perfect place to get some great travel photos.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and present a valid photo ID in order to consume alcohol.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- COVID-19 vaccination required for guides
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start time of the experience.