Hobbiton Movie Set Tour & Rotorua Twin Village Experience
Walk into the real-world landscape of Middle Earth on a walking tour of the Hobbiton™ Movie Set, where you get a behind-the-scenes look at ‘The Lord of the Rings’ and ‘The Hobbit.’ Pause at the Green Dragon™ Inn to for a draft of Hobbit™ Southfarthing™, see the remarkable detailing that brought Hobbiton™ to life on screen, and visit the places where key scenes were created. Continue visiting the mighty Whakarewarewa Valley, where you can experience bubbling mud pools and the 30m-tall Pohutu Geyser, which erupts many times daily. It’s also home to a living Māori village and the New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Institute. Finish the twin village experience by visiting the volcanic eruption site of Mt Tarawera of New Zealand's greatest natural disasters. The peaceful village of Te Wairoa ending more than 150 lives and destroying the eighth wonder of the world - the Pink and White Terraces.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Fully guided return transfers from Auckland
- Complimentary pick up and drop off from Auckland CBD
- Complimentary refreshments and water on board
- Access to Wi-Fi on board for a small surcharge
- Entry ticket to Hobbiton™ Movie Set Tour
- Walking tour of the Hobbiton™ Movie Set
- See where Peter Jackson's movies were shot
- Free beer or ginger beer or cider in Green Dragon Inn
- Entry ticket to guided experience at living Māori village
- Discover the vibrancy of Māori culture and their fascinating traditions
- View the geothermal wonders including the world-famous Pōhutu geyser
- Walk through boiling mud-pools, steam vents and bubbling pools
- Enjoy a traditional cooking demonstration
- Entry ticket to historic experience at the buried village
- Encounter the award winning Museum of Te Wairoa exhibition
- Explore the archaeological sites which reveal the devastation of the eruption
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
- Entry/Admission - Whakarewarewa - The Living Maori Village
- Entry/Admission - Buried Village of Te Wairoa
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Experience the real Middle-earth with a visit to the Hobbiton Movie Set, featured in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films. The Hobbiton Movie Set Tour is where Peter Jackson filmed his famous Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies. Our tour starts by from Auckland city centre from where we pick you up from, then you’ll enjoy a two-hour scenic drive South of Auckland into Waikato, with a scenic stop or two for taking picturesque photos of New Zealand's lush countryside.
Once we arrive, you spend 30-45 mins shopping in the official Hobbiton Gift Shop and grabbing a drink or a bite in the famous Shire’s Rest Cafe. Your guided tour starts on a Hobbiton tour bus with a drive through New Zealand's picturesque 1,250 acre sheep farm with spectacular views across to the Kaimai Ranges. Take a look at Bag End, where Frodo and Bilbo’s adventures began. Get lost among the hobbit holes and visit the Green Dragon Inn, the mill and the Party Tree.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Whakarewarewa - The Living Maori Village, 17 Tryon Street Whakarewarewa Village, Rotorua 3010 New Zealand
Explore an authentic living Māori village where people live on a daily basis, using natural geothermal resources to cook, bathe and heat their homes as they have for centuries. Discover the vibrancy of Māori culture and the fascinating traditions of the Tūhourangi Ngāti Wāhiao people, who shaped tourism in New Zealand. View the geothermal wonders of Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley up close, including the world-famous Pōhutu geyser, boiling mud-pools, steam vents and bubbling pools. Enjoy a traditional cooking demonstration – watch our residents prepare Hāngi meals in our in-ground steam boxes, and cook corn in the bubbling water of our geothermal hot pools – as they have for generations. Learn what it’s like to live in the challenging environment of the Whakarewarewa Valley, where daily life includes cooking in the bubbling pools and steam vents, and bathing in the refreshing therapeutic waters.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Buried Village of Te Wairoa, 1180 Tarawera Road RD 5 Rotorua, Rotorua 3076 New Zealand
A visit to the Buried Village encompasses Rotorua's most scenic drive and starting with the Redwood Forest walking and bike trails (5 minutes from city), Redwood Treewalk (voted NZ's #1 tree-top bridge walk by Tourism NZ), Blue and Green Lakes freedom walk (10 minutes from city), Start of the Tarawera Trail (a 14 km freedom tramp to Hot water Beach) just 15 minutes from city, Buried Village and Te Wairoa Waterfall (just 20 minutes from city) and then to the Lake Tarawera Landing (just 30 minutes from city) where you can catch a water-taxi for a lake cruise to either Hot-water beach or to the trail that leads to Tarawera Falls (voted NZ's #1 waterfall by Department of Conservation). The Tarawera Waterfall trail is a comfortable 90 minute trek from the shores of Lake Tarawera into the Tarawera native bush area.
After you finish your amazing tour experience, we make our way through the scenic roads of Waikato back to Auckland CBD.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Grand Mercure Auckland, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.