Why Choose Flying Kiwi...?
1. MORE PEACE OF MIND WITH GUARANTEED DEPARTURES...
Once you are booked you are going! Unlike other tour companies all our summer tours (Oct-Apr) are guaranteed departures. This gives you complete peace of mind and enables you to plan and look forward to your trip - trips do fill fast though so get in quick.
2. MORE NATIONAL PARKS....
We have a license with the Department of Conservation that enables us to visit, and stay in, places other tours can't access. We ensure our tours give you time to experience New Zealand's best national parks too.
3. MORE CHANCES TO GENUINELY GET OFF THE BEATEN TRACK...
There are a number of World famous highlights on any trip to New Zealand - Milford Sound, Queentown, Rotorua to name a few and we make sure to experience the best these spots have to offer. However, what makes our trips totally unique is exploring the lesser known spots that other tour groups don't visit. Whether it's a secret glow-worm walk at night, a lush rainforest-fringed pool for a dip, a bike ride along deserted roads hugging the coast or a local cafe that serves quite possibly the best muffins in New Zealand we have found the best secret spots - we know you will love them just try not to tell too many others!
4. MORE ACCOMMODATION BY LAKES, MOUNTAINS AND OCEANS...
Rather than wake up in a hostel dorm we wake up to amazing views, fresh air and away from the crowds. By staying in these carefully selected sites you get to experience amazing sunrises, spectacular sunsets, campfires, sleeping to the sound of the ocean, morning dips, lakeside dining to name a few. There are camping and cabin accommodation options (so something for everyone)
5. MORE EXPERIENCE = BETTER TRAVEL OPTIONS...
Flying Kiwi is the original New Zealand tour company. We are the experts with 30 years' experience in conducting tours of the highest quality and thousands of very, very satisfied customers. You can be guaranteed that our team will provide a professional and enjoyable experience of a lifetime.
6. MORE TASTY AND HEALTHY MEALS...
Our trips involve a great deal of activity and we appreciate the importance of good food. We usually offer breakfast, lunch and dinner which saves you time and money. With an average meal out in NZ costing around $30 you'll save a fortune compared to other tour companies.
7. MORE CYCLE OPTIONS...
With bikes on board you have the chance to cycle as much, or as little, as you want. We cover a huge range of rides along the coast, by lakes, through mountain landscapes, downhill, uphill and even across hill - there is something for everyone and every fitness level.
8. MORE HIKES AND ACTIVITY OPTIONS (+LOADS OF FREE STUFF)...
We offer more hikes and activity options than any other tour company. That gives you more choice every day to try the hikes you fancy and the activities you have always wanted to try. Everything is optional and there are always free alternatives. We also include a number of the activities free of charge such as hot pools, Wai-O-Tapu thermals and more.
9. MORE FLEXIBILITY...
Our tours are designed to fit around you. We aren't a traditional tour - you choose the activities you want to do, you choose the style of accommodation you want and you can even take extended breaks along the way - Flying Kiwi is the perfect combination of independent travel and touring convenience.
10. MORE VALUE FOR MONEY...
Quite simply our trips are unbeatable. With transport, accommodation, most meals and use of sports equipment included you won't find a better value tour. Our tours add up to around $160 NZD per day which is a great measure to compare with other options (don't forget a meal out in NZ averages around $30 for starters and bike hire starts at approx. $35 per day).
11. WE SPEND 2-3 NIGHTS IN THE BEST LOCATIONS....
Our main tour is longer than others for a reason - we want this to be the trip of a lifetime. Extra nights in the best locations ensure you can enjoy and relax - simple!
12. FREE HIGHLIGHTS...
Some operators may list these as free activities specific to their tour but as Kiwis are such a generous bunch all those listed below are free for everyone!
Tongariro Crossing (bus transfer not included), glow worm walks, Te Papa museum, Wellington Botanical Gardens, heaps of free hikes, seal spotting, gum boot throwing, Kauri forest walks, Huka Falls, Waitomo museum, dig your own thermal pool on Hot Water beach (we provide the spades!), explore the Bay of Islands region and more.
13. PLACES WE VISIT ARE...
- Stunning Bay of Islands
- Golden beaches of Coromandel
- Thermal mud pools of Rotorua
- Real Lord of the Rings country
- Cultural and historical treasures
- New Zealand’s World Heritage Sites
- The nation's capital - Wellington
- Numerous remote locations that other tours and tourists don't reach
per adult from
10 days, 9 nights
- Tasty meals - 8 x Breakfasts, 3 x Lunches, 7 x Dinners
- Bus/Coach transport
- Shared tent accommodation, 2 people per tent
- Use of sports equipment (bodyboard, cricket sets and more)
- 2 friendly & knowledgeable Flying Kiwi guides
- Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland - NZ's most colourful geothermal attraction
- Tongaririo Crossing (bus transfer not included)
- Amazing sunrises and sunsets at beautiful beach side campsites
- Inflatable camping mattress
- Day 1 : AUCKLAND - HOT WATER BEACHLeaving Auckland at 10am we travel to the Coromandel, renowned for its natural beauty, misty rain-forests and pristine white, sandy beaches. Marvel at the views on a beautiful coastal walk or take in the coastline from the water by kayak. Visit the unique and famous Hot Water Beach to dig, then relax, in your own thermal pool! Soak up the breath-taking scenery and cameras ready for spectacular sunrises at our beach-side camp.Meals :DinnerDay 2 : HOT WATER BEACH - ROTORUAThe morning is filled with activity as we make our way south into the thermal wonderland of Rotorua. On the way, those visiting Hobbiton leave us in Matamata as we continue to the cultural and geological heart of the North Island and the perfect place to experience and learn about Maori culture and the dramatic natural thermals, Rotorua. There is plenty of action to choose from such as Zip Lining, OGO and the Luge or go biking in the Whakarewarewa forest. We recommend finishing your day with a Maori cultural experience at the Tamaki Maori Village, there really is something for everyone!Meals :Breakfast, LunchDay 3 : ROTORUA - TURANGIEnjoy a relaxed start to the day before we check out the geysers & mud pools at Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland (included free). First, we visit the Lady Knox Geyser before exploring one of New Zealand’s most extensive geothermal networks, a unique landscape with colourful sulphur lakes and diverse volcanic vistas. We then take time to explore the impressive Huka Falls before arriving into Taupo, considered the North Island's adrenalin capital. Test your fear of heights on the giant swing, bungy or go skydiving, the scenery is well worth it! We finish the day with a beautiful drive around the edge of Lake Taupo on our way into camp at Turangi.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 4 : TURANGI - PAEKAKARIKIToday you have the chance to experience the Tongariro Alpine Crossing - considered NZ's best day hike, offering a remarkable journey across volcanic landscapes. Lava flows, emerald-coloured lakes, magnificent views and steaming vents combine to make this an unforgettable hike. For those who aren't keen on hiking you can enjoy short local walks or cycle the Tongariro river track. After the hike, we make our way south and stay on the Kapiti coast in a quiet little place called Paekakariki.Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerDay 5 : PAEKAKARIKI - WELLINGTON - NEW PYLYMOUTHAfter a short journey to Wellington arriving there by 9am you will have a couple of hours to check out the sights of New Zealand’s beautiful capital city. Departing at 11am, travel up the scenic Kapiti Coast towards the Taranaki region – home to wonderful beaches, crashing waves and the spectacular Mount Taranaki, one of the most symmetrical volcanic cones in the world. Our campsite is beside the Taranaki coastline offering a short scenic walk or cycle to camp at the end of the day.Meals :BreakfastDay 6 : NEW PLYMOUTH - AUCKLANDWe depart early towards the limestone wonderland of Waitomo Caves, home to an endemic species of glow-worms that inhabit the vast cave systems. Black water rafting is a unique way to experience the caves as you float through the underground maze with the radiant light of the glow-worms to lead the way. We take time to enjoy a picnic lunch before heading to “the city of sails”, New Zealand’s largest city for a taste of big city life “kiwi style” and a great chance to join your group for a taste of the harbour bars and restaurants. Camping isn’t feasible in the heart of the country’s largest city, so we will be staying in a great hostel giving you the best access to explore the city. This is payable locally and we have dorm beds reserved for everyone on board.Meals :Breakfast, LunchDay 7 : AUCKLAND - BAY OF ISLANDSLeaving Auckland at 10am we head to the "winterless north" and the pristine beaches of the Bay of Islands. We stop at the incredible Uretiti beach for a swim and a walk along the sand. Grab a rugby ball and frisbee off the bus and brush up on your passing skills at this picturesque beach spot. On arrival into Paihia, the gateway town to the Bay of Islands, choose from the Mangrove walk or a beautiful cycle to the thundering Haruru waterfall.Meals :DinnerDay 8 : BAY OF ISLANDSExperience a full day exploring the Bay of Islands and its turquoise waters. This subtropical region is the perfect playground for water lovers and a great place to soak up the sunshine. With a staggering 144 islands, the Bay of Islands offers diving, sailing, swimming and fishing along with some excellent walks in the native forests leading to quiet beaches and special views. This region is also home to some of the oldest European settlement in New Zealand and many historic buildings.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 9 : BAY OF ISLANDS - OREWAThere is a day full of adventure ahead as we travel to the rugged and soulful West Coast. Our first stop comes with a chance to try your skills sand boarding or if you don’t fancy heading down the sandy slopes there’s a nice coastal walk. Then it’s back on board as we head south towards the Waipoua Forest, travelling through the largest remaining tract of native kauri forests in northland. We leave the West Coast and cross back over to the East towards our final destination and camp for tonight, Orewa. Home to one of the Auckland regions longest and safest beaches it’s a great place for a stroll and a swim, or relax at the local hot pools.Meals :Breakfast, DinnerDay 10 : OREWA - AUCKLANDOrewa is often blessed with a beautiful sunrise over the sea which is well worth the early start to check it out. Leaving early from camp we travel the short distance to Auckland arriving there by 9:30am where it’s time to say our final farewells.Meals :Breakfast
Auckland pickup: 10am outside the Grand Millennium Hotel, 106 -110 Vincent Street, Central Auckland (opposite the Auckland City Police Station).
2019 TOUR DEPARTURE DATES:
October: 19, 28
November: 6, 15, 24
December: 3, 12, 21, 30
2020 TOUR DEPARTURE DATES:
January: 8, 17, 26
February: 4, 13, 22
March: 2, 11, 20, 29
Optional hires: You can hire any of the following equipment from us for the duration of your trip or bring your own gear. We charge a small handling fee for those who bring their own bikes but there are no charges for your own tent etc.
Cycle hire for entire trip $220
Bring your own bike $90
Single tent upgrade $120
Sleeping bag hire $65
Cabin upgrades are available most nights for a small fee, payable on the day (subject to availability). During the peak travel months of Dec, Jan, Feb we recommend pre-booking upgrades prior to travel through the Flying Kiwi office. Pre-booking upgrades incur a 10% pre-booking service fee of the total upgrade cost.