Lake Wakatipu Scenic Catamaran Cruise from Queenstown
Enjoy exploring New Zealand’s picturesque Lake Wakatipu on a spacious Catamaran which is purpose-built for viewing, departing daily from Queenstown. Surrounded by stunning mountains including the Remarkables Mountain Range and the Southern Alps, Lake Wakatipu is New Zealand's longest lake and a highlight of Queenstown. Your captain provides informative commentary about the sights and wildlife around the lake as you cruise to the western shored to take in the stunning scenery and unique photo opportunities. Choose from a selection of morning and afternoon cruises to fit your schedule - upgrade to a Wine & Cheese inclusion which celebrates all local produce.
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Sightseeing cruise Lake Wakatipu
- Live commentary on board
- Restroom on board
What's excluded :
- Food and Drinks - available for purchase
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Southern Discoveries - Mt Nicholas Farm Experience
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Southern Discoveries - Queenstown Visitor Centre, St Omer Wharf 110 Beach Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Your experience starts here - Check in with friendly staff 15 minutes before your scheduled cruise departure and get ready for your journey.
Meet at a convenient downtown location in Queenstown to board your spacious catamaran for a nearly 2-hour tour of gorgeous Lake Wakatipu in the morning or afternoon. Carved out by an enormous glacier in the last ice age, the lake reaches depths of 1,300 feet (400 meters). Mountains surround the water, providing a dramatic backdrop to the deep blue lake.
Experience this stunning locale from your boat, which is equipped with warm indoor seating, large viewing windows and outdoor decks that offer unobstructed views from either side of the vessel.
A bar stocked with local craft beers and Central Otago wine awaits, with a cafe to compliment. You have the option to upgrade to a Wine & Cheese package on this cruise.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown New Zealand
Your captain provides informative commentary about the landmarks and native wildlife as you cruise. You are also welcome to join the captain in the wheelhouse. Learn about atmospheric pressures that cause the lake’s water level to rise and fall about 5 inches (12 centimeters) every few minutes. A Maori legend says that the water’s changing levels stem from the heartbeat of a giant who lies asleep in the lake’s depths.
While a slumbering giant might be hard to prove, it's safe to say Elves have been here. The lake provided the setting for the Lothlórien scenes filmed for The Lord of the Rings movie.
After a leisurely cruise on Lake Wakatipu, return to the starting point in Queenstown where your tour ends.
Stop At: The Remarkables Ski Area, Queenstown New Zealand
Enjoy Stunning Views of Southern Alps and Remarkables Mountain Range
Pass By: Otago 9372, New Zealand
Marvel at the spectacular sights of Mt Earnslaw & the Earnslaw glacier as you cruise past the Southern Alps.
Stop At: Southern Discoveries - Mt Nicholas Farm Experience, St Omer Wharf, 110 Beach Street, Queenstown 9300 New Zealand
Head to Mt Nicholas High Country Station, located on the western shore of the lake, with a stop at Bob's Cove to view flora and fauna up close from the boat. Soak up spectacular views looking towards Glenorchy, Mt Earnslaw, the Southern Alps and the Remarkables mountain range. Upgrade to visit this farm before embarking onto the Spirit of Queenstown Catamaran.
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Glenorchy, Glenorchy, Otago Region, South Island
Enjoy stunning views up the lake towards Glenorchy, Mt Earnslaw and the Southern Alps. Take panoramic photos from our open-top viewing deck
Pass By: Coronet Peak, Queenstown New Zealand
Marvel at incredible views of Coronet Peak & Coronet Ski Fields from this spacious catamaran which is purpose built for viewing.
Departure Point :Southern Discoveries - Queenstown Visitor Centre, St Omer Wharf 110 Beach Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise of your country of origin at the time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Interpretation handouts are available in the following languages: Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, German, Spanish, French and Russian.
- Stroller accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.