Lord of the Rings High Country Station Pioneering Experience & Scenic Day Tour
As you journey from Christchurch, courtesy of Maossie Tour's extremely comfortable 4x6WD luxury bus, on your way to your destination - a fully-fledged working sheep station in New Zealand's high-country - take in the breath-taking scenery of the Southern Alps including sites from "Lord of the Rings" Middle Earth. Braided rivers, green pastures, forests, deer, horses, sheep, hidden tracks, and absolutely remarkable mountain scenery. Fully inclusive price includes pick up from major Christchurch city hotels, scrumptious special lunch, morning and afternoon tea, luxury coach travel including onboard WIFI and USB - and a lively, entertaining and highly knowledgeable tour guide who can relate all the history, myths and legends! As an option, be transported back in time enjoying enjoy a truly unique experience: a nostalgic but comfortable wagon ride pulled by some “gentle giants” - a team of Clydesdale horses - into the spectacular Aotearoa back-country highlands.
per adult from
What's included :
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Morning & Afternoon tea, coffee, snack
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel drop-off and pick up (selected hotels only)
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Maossie Tours
- Entry/Admission - Mt Potts Lodge
- Entry/Admission - Edoras (Lord of the Rings)
- Entry/Admission - Mt Sunday Summit
- Entry/Admission - Erewhon Station
What's excluded :
- Clydesdale Horse Wagon ride (optional extra)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Maossie Tours, Rolleston Avenue near intersection of Worcester Blvd, Christchurch 8013 New Zealand
This is the pick up location for those not be picked up from their Christchurch hotel. Luxury Coach travel with complimentary WiFi, USB Charging, tour guide and all refreshments. Braided rivers, green pastures, forests, deer, horses, sheep, hidden tracks, and absolutely remarkable mountain scenery - there's something different and amazing behind every turn! Your total journey time will be about 7-8 hours and your tour is fully inclusive with Maossie providing a scrumptious lunch, morning and afternoon teas, and an unbelievable tour guide!
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Rakaia Gorge Walkway, Rakaia Gorge Road State Highway 72 Inland Scenic Route, Rakaia New Zealand
Rakaia Gorge - lookout and scenery exposition
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Mt Hutt Ski Area, Methven New Zealand
Southern Alps scenery
Stop At: Mt Potts Lodge, 2131 Hakatere Potts Road, Ashburton Lakes 7771, New Zealand
Enjoy a special lunch in a warm and friendly atmosphere - and get ready for the next adventure on this tour!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Edoras (Lord of the Rings), Hakatere Potts Road, Ashburton Lakes 7771, New Zealand
Mount Sunday: Edoras, home of the mythical capital city of the Rohan people in Lord of the Rings. For those not undertaking the Clydesdale Horses Wagon ride, more time can be spent here exploring the the area
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Rangitata River, Canterbury, New Zealand
Another spectacular Lord of the Rings location. See where three braided rivers collide - the Clyde, Rangitata and the Havelock in "Middle Earth"
Stop At: Mt Sunday Summit, 2131 Hakatere Potts Road, Ashburton Lakes 7771, New Zealand
Go on a short walk around Lord of the Rings Edoras, home of the mythical Rohan people
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Erewhon Station, Hakatere Potts Road, Ashburton 7771, New Zealand
Journey's final destination - "NOWHERE" (Erewhon spelt backwards!) Enjoy a truly unique experience by experiencing (warmer seasons only Sept. - May) an optional wagon ride using Clydesdale horses taking you into spectacular Aotearoa back-country.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Hakatere Historic Town, 2387 Ashburton Gorge Road, Ashburton Lakes 7771, New Zealand
Enjoy afternoon tea at this unusual location containing an historical village and memorabilia
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Canterbury Museum (Christchurch), Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
We will pickup from any centrally located Christchurch hotel / motel. After hotel pick-ups, the distinctive Maossie Tours bus (black Mercedes) will parked and waiting alongside Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Ave Central Christchurch, near the corner of Worcester Blvd. until the scheduled departure time.
Departure Time :08:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- The optional Clydesdale horses wagon ride operates between Sepember and May inclusive only due to prevailing weather condistions and fram program.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start time of the experience.