The Luge is an exciting ride for all ages. A world 'first' proudly designed and built in Rotorua, the Luge is a fun filled ride on a three-wheel cart. The unique braking and steering system provides the rider full control and allows them to travel as fast or slow as they wish.
Three separate concrete sealed tracks wind through the redwood trees. Children under six are able to be carried in tandem. Riders return to the top of the luge on a specially designed chairlift system.
Over six million riders have enjoyed the Luge ride experience to date. Full instructional information and key do's and don'ts are provided prior to riding the Luge.
Three Luge Tracks to Choose From!
- Luge Ride
Age and height restrictions:
- Children must be at least 6 years old and 110cm or taller to be allowed to ride the Scenic Luge Track unaccompanied.
- Children must be 135cm or taller to be allowed to ride the Advanced Luge Track unaccompanied.
- Children under the age of 6 years old or under 110cm can ride the Luge in tandem, with an adult aged 15+ years at a cost of $2 per ride (Future Luge Rider).
Riders must meet our age, height and health restrictions to be able to ride the Luge. (For more information visit our website Skyline.co.nz)
*Adverse weather conditions may force a temporary closure of the site or individual tracks during these hours without prior warning.
A Family of 4 includes 2 adults and 2 children*. A family of 5 includes 2 adults and 3 children*.
- Day 1 : LugeNestle into a Luge cart and zip off with friends or family to discover who has the skills to master the Luge. The part go-cart, part toboggan is gravity fuelled with full rider control over speed and direction. Pull back on the handlebars to slow down or stop, release slightly to accelerate and enjoy the ride. The Luge is great for any age (our oldest rider is 101) and small children can ride with adults. First up, ride the sweeping bends of the Scenic Track through the Redwoods Forest. After a stunning chair-lift ride back to the top, the Intermediate and Advanced tracks await. Once is never enough. The world famous Luge opened in 1986 and Skyline Rotorua continues to lead the Luge technology - all components are designed and manufactured in Rotorua and then shipped around the world to other Luge locations.Meals :None
Luge Operating hours: 9am-5pm daily.
Gondola Operating hours: 9.00am daily until end of operation each night.
From Taupo and the south
On your approach to Rotorua, turn left into Old Taupo Road at the Waiariki Polytechnic, continue along Old Taupo Road which continues as Fairy Springs Road at the major intersection of Clayton Road and Lake Road.
Continue along Fairy Springs Road for approximately two kilometres, our entrance is sign-posted on your left hand side.
From Auckland and the north
Travel into Rotorua on SH5. We are located at the entrance of Rotorua, sign-posted on your right hand side.
Important Note this package does not include a gondola ride, this needs to be sold in conjunction with the Gondola Ride or as an addition to other gondola and luge packages.
A track with viewing bays at great locations for taking photographs, enjoy a leisurely trip whilst enjoying the panorama views.
A two kilometre scenic ride through Skylines very own Redwood Forest
Pull off rest areas at great locations for taking photographs
Fun for all ages, children under six can be carried in tandem
Lit for twilight luging over summer months.
Riders return to the top via a double seater chairlift
An all weather attraction
Intermediate Luge Track
An exciting track to thrill the most experienced luge rider.
1.7 kilometers in length and with all the thrills that have made the luge such a popular all age entertainment activity
Featuring a tunnel, spirals and awesome views over the city and lake, this track will be a must do for all luge addicts
Lit for twilight luging over summer months.
Advanced Luge Track
A thrilling and exhilarating ride.
A one kilometre ride
Exciting bends and dips
Suitable for all ages from 10 years and upwards
Return to the top via a double seater chairlift
Safety is Essential!
- All Luge riders must adhere to the Luge Code of Conduct, and receive a full safety briefing from our trained Luge instructors prior to their first Luge ride.
- The first ride must be on the Scenic Track to demonstrate you can handle it and are confident to take on the excitement of the Advanced Track.
- The maximum load on the chairlift is two people per chair. Follow all instructions for boarding and disembarking the chairlift. Please note that the chairlift does not stop at any time.