Muriwai Scenic Gannet & Wine Experience
When you think of wine-tasting trips in New Zealand you imagine scenic drives through Marlborough, Otago, Hawkes Bay and Nelson. But the good news for those living in the north land is there are some impressive wineries much closer to home than you might realise - some of the best cellar doors are within half an hour from the Auckland CBD. Kiwis are known to be avid winemakers and drinkers and with more than 500 wineries throughout the country, it would be hard to not indulge in our top-quality vino. Visiting one of the many wineries within New Zealand is a must-do and now more than ever would be a great support to our local tourism industry. West Auckland has been at the forefront in developing new wine styles, trailing new grape varieties and importantly, developing and growing new international markets. Dalmatian history is everywhere in West Auckland.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Delicious wine tasting at cellars of award-winning estates
- Fully guided return transfers from Auckland
- Complimentary pick up and drop off from Auckland CBD
- Complimentary refreshments and water on board
- Access to Wi-Fi on board for a small surcharge
- Wine tasting at 3 locally owned vineyards
- Guided experience at the vineyard
- Lunch with a three course meal with matching wines
- Pastoral landscapes filled with lush orchards & vineyards
- Visit Muriwai Gannet Colony
- Chance to see nesting Gannets preparing for winter migration
- Visit the black sand beaches of the area
- Stop off at a gannet colony and observe them in their habitat
- Entry/Admission - Coopers Creek Vineyard
- Entry/Admission - Westbrook Winery
- Entry/Admission - The Hunting Lodge Winery & Restaurant
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Coopers Creek Vineyard, 601 State Highway 16 Huapai, Auckland Central, Auckland 0810 New Zealand
Our first spot for wine tasting at Coopers Creek Winery has been a true pioneer in New Zealand. All the wines are expertly crafted from grapes grown with care and dedication in New Zealand's best winegrowing regions. You'll find our wines available around the world, from London to Los Angeles, Toronto to Tokyo and many places in between. With a reputation for producing some of the finest regional wines, Coopers Creek is a must-visit Auckland attraction. Set in the idyllic landscape of the heart of Kumeu, the family-owned winery provides for a great day out.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Westbrook Winery, 215 Ararimu Valley Road, Waimauku, Auckland 0882 New Zealand
Located in the picturesque Ararimu Valley, Westbrook Winery's skilled winemakers produce iconic hand-crafted wines using time-honoured traditional and innovative techniques. Set in twenty acres of picturesque park-like grounds, the Cellar Door looks down over tree-covered grassy terraces and across a pretty brook-fed lily pond to row after row of vines. Experience a guided tour of the vineyard and look into the winery with a special tasting of one of our special cellared library wines. Then enjoy a tasting of a selection of our current release wines.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: The Hunting Lodge Winery & Restaurant, 305 - 307 Waikoukou Valley Road, Waimauku, Auckland 0882 New Zealand
Within 5 minutes’ drive The Hunting Lodge sits pretty in Waimauku. Just around the corner from Kumeu, it’s surrounded by breath taking vineyards, forest and farmland. You’ll feel a million miles away from the city, even though it’s just a 30-minute drive. The stunning destination restaurant, Cellar Door & Lawn Bar, and it’s incredible setting will woo your heart (and taste buds) time and time again. Enter the historic villa restaurant and you’ll find a mouth-watering all day menu. Inspired by the seasons where the wine and food experience evolves throughout the year. Award winning Executive Chef Des Harris has created a fresh dining experience that will have you feeling at ease. Enjoy a three course meal with matching wines.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Muriwai Gannet Colony, 428 Motutara Rd Waitakere, Muriwai Beach, Auckland 0881 New Zealand
After satisfying your taste buds, next you visit one of the region’s special places. Relax with a side trip through beautiful traditional rolling sheep and cattle country to visit the Muriwai black sand beach. We make a stop to get amazing views along the coast and talk about what makes the west coast Auckland beaches unique. See Gannets nesting and flying over rock outcrops and black sand beaches. The gannet colony is in residence from August to March. Here you get a close-up of the gannet colony without disturbing their environment.
A big treat to our eyes and stomach makes this experience worthwhile.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Grand Mercure Auckland, 8 Customs Street East, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- If you are 18 years or older you can enter any licensed premises and buy and drink alcohol, as long as you can provide acceptable proof of age identification such as a driver license, Hospitality New Zealand (HANZ) 18+ card or passport.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.