Okura River Kayak Hire
Allow two hours for this kayak tour.
Self Guided Kayak Tours are run to suit tides. You decide the day and we’ll inform you of when the best time to paddle is.
No previous experience is necessary, but a reasonable level of mobility and fitness is required. We will give you a comprehensive briefing on the kayaks, the area and where you are going.
For inexperienced or rusty paddlers, we offer basic instruction.
This kayak hire is suitable for children 11 years and over, although younger children over 5 are welcome if the conditions are suitable (each child must be accompanied by an adult).
Child rates for under 14 years.
per adult from
What's included :
- Stable Sit-on-Top Kayaks, Paddles & Bouyancy Aids
- A comprehensive briefing from our experienced qualified kayak guides
What's excluded :
The Okura River Kayak Hire is ideal for families, a group of friends or workmates.
The Long Bay – Okura Marine Reserve is bordered by protected native bush, council reserves, historic buildings, pa sites and is filled with natural wonders.
You will explore the Okura Estuary and see some of NZ’s rarest seabirds. You are likely to see fish flying through the air and stingray as they cruise under your kayak.
As the estuary is tidal, we organise the hire, so you are travelling with the tide and the water is flat. No rapids to contend with.
The estuary is teeming with wildlife. On the way, look out for eel, heron and kingfisher amongst the mangroves.
Then as the estuary widens, wonder at the stands of native bush and you’ll see tui, kingfisher, heron, pied stilts, oyster catchers, NZ dotterel and bar-tailed godwits,
in and around the estuary.
Canoe & Kayak are vocal supporters of this amazing region and your attendance with us helps support community projects.
Departure Point :Okura Community Centre, Okura River Road, Auckland 0792, New Zealand
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.