Queenstown to Christchurch Via Mt Cook & Lake Tekapo Small Group Tour
Queenstown to Christchurch via Mt Cook, this small group, fully-guided tour combines two of the most stunning locations in the South Island with the time and options to enjoy the activities, unlike other tours.
• Mt Cook & Aoraki National Park
• Lake Tekapo & Lake Pukaki
• Church of the Good Shepherd, Lindis Pass and the Southern Alps
• Free time for activities & walks
Led by our famously passionate tour guides, notorious for bringing your journey to life by sharing their stories and rich background knowledge and run in modern, comfortable minibuses packed with extras ensuring your comfort and safety.
While the destinations you will be visiting are truly spectacular, we at Cheeky Kiwi Travel believe it is our small groups, our guides, the journey and the little details that set our tours well apart. Secret stops, wildlife viewings, specially designed vehicles, complementary refreshments and many other pleasant surprises ensure our tours are an experience to remember.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Small Group & Fully Guided Tour
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Optional extras and activities - please select the tour option you want at time of booking
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Queenstown, Queenstown, Otago Region, South Island
Your tour starts in the stunning city of Queenstown. As we drive out of the city your guide will not only set the scene for your adventure today but also point out and guide you past some of the area’s top highlights.
Pass By: Kawarau Suspension Bridge, Kawarau Bridge, Gibbston New Zealand
Departing Queenstown we then make our way north through the stunning Kawarau Gorge passing beautiful views. The Kawarau Suspension Bridge and the famous Roaring Meg Lookout. Time and light permitting we will stop for that first great shot of the tour.
Stop At: Cromwell, Cromwell, Central Otago, Otago Region, South Island
Exiting the Kawarau Gorge we enter the fruit and wine growing region of Cromwell. Passing huge fields of vines we cross Lake Dunstan and follow this striking lake towards Lindis Pass.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Lindis Pass, Omarama New Zealand
Climbing in altitude, Lindis Pass has amazing views down through the valley. Being one of only three alpine roads through the otherwise impassable Southern Alps, we stop at the Lindis Pass lookout 971m above sea level for an essential photo.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Omarama, Omarama, Canterbury Region, South Island
While driving through the endless plains of the Mackenzie district we will spot several of the celebrated Merino breed of sheep before stopping at the quaint township of Omarama. While in Omarama we have time for a break or even to try the best creamy chicken pie in NZ (in our opinion)!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Lake Pukaki, New Zealand
Turning west we begin to enter the Aoraki National Park and Lake Pukaki begins to emerge in front of us. Lake Pukaki is one of the bluest lakes you will ever see and stunningly framed by the backdrop of Aoraki/Mt Cook and the Southern Alps. We stop for some amazing photos and to just marvel the sight that we are beholding. It’s not hard to see why so many Lord of the Rings scenes were filmed nearby and we will point them out for you.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Aoraki Mount Cook National Park Visitor Centre, 1 Larch Grove, Mt. Cook Village, Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu) 7999 New Zealand
Arriving at Mt Cook Village, weather depending, we should get some amazing shots of the mountain itself. At 3724m, Aoraki/Mt Cook is New Zealand’s highest peak, however, the mountain can be viewed without any acclimatisation whatsoever from the village which is just 750m above sea level.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), Mackenzie District, Canterbury Region, South Island
While in the national park you have 4 hours free time to enjoy free walks/hikes or one of the extra optional activities. Some of our recommendations include: Hooker Valley hike – This easy 3 hour hike is considered one of New Zealand’s most beautiful, Scenic flights – see the region from the air and land on the Tasmin Glacier or Heli Hikes. Whatever you have decided to do, we will pick you up and drop you off where you need to go and make sure you are well looked after.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Lake Tekapo, Lake Tekapo, Mackenzie District, Canterbury Region, South Island
Farewelling Mt Cook we make our way to Lake Tekapo. This turquoise blue lake is famous world over for its pristine beauty. We have a short time here but long enough to get those Instagram breaking photos, explore the Church of the Good Shepherd and see the Mackenzie dog before starting to head towards Christchurch.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Geraldine, Geraldine, Canterbury Region, South Island
Departing Tekapo for Christchurch we will pass through more amazing passes and high country towns before arriving in the peaceful town of Geraldine for a final quick break before heading to your final destination - Christchurch.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Christchurch, Christchurch, Canterbury Region, South Island
Upon arriving in Christchurch your guides will point out any highlights we pass while travelling to the drop off locations.
Duration: 5 minutes
Departure Point :The Station - Home of Adventure in Queenstown, Corner of Shotover & Camp Streets, 25 Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Hotel Pick Up Points & Times:Please be ready waiting in your hotel lobby or at the pick up point at least 10 minutes prior to your pick up time below. If your hotel is not listed below, please contact us in advance to be picked up from your nearest location in the list below.15 mins before tour start time: Kamana Lakehouse, Heritage Hotel, Mercure Hotel10 mins before tour start time: Crowne Plaza, Hotel St Moritz, Rydges Lakeland Resort5 mins before tour start time: Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, Base Backpackers, YHA Central, Nomads Backpackers, Queenstown Central Pick Up Point (Cnr Shotover and Camp Street, Queenstown)At tour start time: Scenic Hotel, Copthorne Hotel, Heartland Hotel, Millennium Hotel, Oaks Shores Resort, Rees Hotel10 - 20 mins after tour start time: Frankton Bus Station (near Queenstown airport), Wyndham Garden Hotel15 - 25 mins after tour start time: Hilton Hotel & Resort45 minutes after tour start time: Cromwell I-Site, 2 The Mall, CromwellPorts
- Frankton Bus Station
- The Station - Home of Adventure in Queenstown, Corner of Shotover & Camp Streets, 25 Shotover Street, Queenstown 9300, New Zealand
Departure Time :6:45 AM
Return Detail :Christchurch, New Zealand
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Children 7 years old and below are required to travel in a child safety car seat. If you don't have a car seat one can be provided (with 24 hours’ notice).
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.