Remutaka Rail Trail Explorer Cycle Tour
Discover the Remutaka Ranges' rich rail history & natural beauty. The flagship daytrip of the Remutaka Cycle Trail, this is suitable for riders of all levels, and can be lengthened or shortened to suit you. 18/25km of easy/moderate riding.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All food and water provided - snacks, light lunch, water.
- All equipment - bikes, helmets and other safety gear, racks and a pannier bag for your personal effects.
- All transport - shuttles to and from your hotel / pickup point, and any other transports required throughout day.
- Knowledgeable and friendly host, who will provide information regarding the trail and what to expect throughout the day.
- All taxes/fees are included in the headline price - no hidden extras.
What's excluded :
- Excludes on-trail guide - our friendly staff will brief you and answer any questions you may have, but the trail is really easy to follow and full of information stations, so a guide isn't really necessary.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Wellington, Wellington, Greater Wellington, North Island
We'll pick you up from your accommodation in Wellington / Hutt Valley and shuttle you to the start of the trail
Stop At: Maymorn, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Optional start point for the 25km ride
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Remutaka Rail Trail - Kaitoke, Unnamed Road, Kaitoke, Upper Hutt 5372, New Zealand
Start point for the 18km ride, recommended for those less confident or wanting to cruise and take their time. On the trail, you’ll start by cycling through the native bird-filled Pakuratahi Forest. Follow an old railway line over bridges and through tunnels, while pausing, if you like, to check out information stations detailing the enormous task of constructing the “Fell” railway system - a first for New Zealand at the time, and one of only a few around the world. Once you reach the summit, you will stop for a picnic lunch on a large grassy plateau next to the remnants of a historic station. After lunch, enjoy an exhilarating (but easily controllable!) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, with views of some of New Zealand’s stunning farming heartland.
Duration: 3 hours
Pass By: Wairarapa, Wairarapa, Greater Wellington, North Island
We'll pick you up at Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, before we shuttle you back over the Remutaka ranges, down the Hutt Valley and back to Wellington.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up from your accommodation in Wellington / Lower Hutt.Airports
- Wellington Intl Airport, Wellington New Zealand
- CentrePort Wellington, 2 Fryatt Quay, Pipitea, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please provide the following at time of booking, so we can make sure your day goes smoothly:
- Info regarding your dietary requirements - eg "no seafood please", "gluten free", "vegetarian"
- Your approximate height (for bike sizing) - inches or cm are fine.
- The address that you would like our shuttle to pick you up from at 9am - anywhere in Wellington or the Hutt Valley is fine
- Trips are subject to favourable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund at your discretion.
- Please wear appropriate clothing for outdoor activity. During the warmer months, this means shorts and a t-shirt for riding, and a light jacket in reserve. During the colder months you may prefer long pants or tights (nothing baggy that may catch on the bike!), with a tshirt, fleece and light jacket in reserve. Closed shoes - running shoes are perfect - must be worn at all times.
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.