Self-Guided Geothermal Tour in Orakei Korako
Join this completely self-guided tour for an extraordinary geothermal experience!
A unique natural geothermal attraction, situated between Rotorua and Taupo. View up close, geysers, mud pools, hot springs, silica terraces, New Zealand's natural bush and a very rare thermal cave. Said to be "Arguably the Best Thermal in New Zealand".
The attraction is a self guided walk of 2.5kms and takes between 1 and 1.5 hours to complete. Open 365 days of the year (including Christmas Day) from 8m through to 4:30pm. A short return ferry trip to the attraction is included and runs on demand.
per adult from
What's included :
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Self guided tour
- Return ferry rides on demand
- Entry/Admission - Orakei Korako Cave & Thermal Park
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Guide - this tour is completely self-guided
- Situated just 25 minutes north of Taupo and 45 minutes south of Rotorua nestled on the shores of Lake Ohakuri lies ‘The Hidden Valley’ of Orakei Korako Cave and Thermal Park. Orakei Korako translated means “The Place of Adorning”.
Wander through a valley of unbelievable color, of bubbling hot springs, gushing geysers and unimaginable natural beauty preserved by its isolation from the outside world. Look down into Ruatapu Cave, one of only two geothermal Caves known to exist in the world, an experience not to be missed. 120 feet down, a thermal mirror pool is situated at the bottom.
Access to Orakei Korako is by ferry, at no extra charge. Average sightseeing time is about 1 hour. Ferries do not run to a timetable, so you may visit the valley as soon as you arrive if you wish.
It is open from 8am and the last boat to the thermal area leave at 4:30pm in the summer and 4pm in the winter. Free overnight Camper-van parking is available.
Departure Point :Taupo, Taupo, Taupo District, Waikato Region, North Island
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.