Spectacular Half-Day TranzAlpine Excursion: Christchurch to Christchurch
Tour through the Canterbury Plains, with a lunch stop on route at Terrace Downs resort. If time and weather permits, a short walk should you wish, to view the rock formations. Head west through Arthur's Pass to the Otira Viaduct lookout. Spot a cheeky "Kea”. Return to Arthur's Pass and board the famous TranzAlpine train.The train journey between Arthur's Pass and Springfield is the most scenic as the train clings and descends the cliffs following the aqua blue Waimakariri River. Travel through 15 short tunnels and over 4 dramatic viaducts, including the Staircase viaduct. On arrival into Springfield, you will disembark the train and meet your driver for the short trip back to Christchurch .
per adult from
7 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Lunch - There will be a lucnh stop on route, this will be at your own expense
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Arthur's Pass National Park, Arthur's Pass National Park, Canterbury Region, South Island
Head west through the heartland of the Canterbury Plains before traversing the main divide to Arthur’s Pass National Park. The heart of the Southern Alps. Its high mountains with large scree slopes, steep gorges and wide braided rivers straddle the main divide, and are the ‘back bone’ of the South Island. Here you will have to time to view the Otira viaduct, you might even see a cheeky Kea, New Zeland's very own native parrot.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Castle Hill, Castle Hill, Canterbury Region, South Island
On arrival at Castle Hill, weather dependent you can stroll through the natural limestone structures. Marvel at the formations with visions of "Chronicles of Narnia" and "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe"
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Terrace Downs Spa, Coleridge Rd Terrace Downs Resort, Windwhistle 7572 New Zealand
As you travel through the Canterbury Plains you will reach "Terrace Downs" based in the foothills, here you will have the opportunity to purchase and view the outstanding surroundings.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Tour departs CBD 11.30am hotel pick ups will start 30 minutes prior to this
Departure Time :11:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.