Waitomo Day Trip with Option to Add Hobbiton from Rotorua
You can design your own ideal day with a full-day tour to Waitomo. Choose between Waitomo Glowworm Cave, Ruakuri Cave and or Hobbiton!
At the famous Waitomo Caves Waitomo Glowworm Cave, you will skip the queues and ride a boat beneath thousands of twinkling glowworms in the famous Waitomo Cave.
Choose to either have free time in Waitomo and stroll through native forests and the spectacular limestone landscape or visit the nearby Ruakuri cave. The vast Ruakuri Cave features waterfalls and limestone formations.
Feeling adventurous? Join us for a sensational underground Black Water Rafting Adventure, floating down an underground stream on a rubber tube admiring the glowworms above.
Choose to add on Hobbiton Movie Set (2 hour guided tour) and drink at the Green Toad on completion. Finish your day in Auckland or Rotorua.
Please note; if you decide to end your day in Auckland and do not want to join the Hobbiton Movie Set Tour you will have a 2-hour wait at Hobbiton
per adult from
What's included :
- Waitomo activity of choice (The Waitomo Cave option you have selected)
- Hobbiton Movies Set tour (if chosen)
- Pickup from centrally located meeting point
- Transport by air-conditioned coach or van
- Glowworm Cave Option includes Waitomo Glowworm Caves Only - (45 minute Tour including boat ride)
- 2 Caves Option Includes Waitomo Glowworm Cave (45 Minute tour) PLUS Ruakuri Caves (2 Hour Tour)
- Entry/Admission - Waitomo Glowworm Caves
What's excluded :
- Personal expenses
- Hobbiton, unless chosen at check out
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Headfirst Travel, Rotorua 3007 New Zealand
Enjoy the tour with your Local Legend Guide! They will tell you unique history and interesting facts while you journey with them for the day!
Stop At: Waitomo Glowworm Caves, 39 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo Caves 3943 New Zealand
Here you will experience The Waitomo Cave option you have selected:
Glowworms - Includes Waitomo Glowworm Caves Only with free time to explore in Waitomo and Hobbiton
2 Caves - For this option you will have a 45 minute Waitomo Glowworm Cave Tour and also a 2 Hour Ruakri Cave Tour
Black Labyrinth - For this option you will be given a rubber ring and guided down the Waitomo Glowworm Caves.
Waitomo Glowworm Caves
Here we'll enjoy a tour of amazing natural wonder and meet the thousands of little glowworms that turn these dark caverns into gorgeous turquoise tunnels! These unique creatures are only found in New Zealand and welcome you to explore their subterranean home.
Ride a boat beneath thousands of twinkling glowworms in the famous Waitomo Caves. We'll also have free time here to explore on our own
For passengers adding on Ruakuri, you will take a short journey from Waitomo to Ruakuri. Here you Experience the spectacular spiral entrance to Ruakuri Cave. Marvel at the incredible limestone formations and crystal tapestries in an intimate group.
The original Waitomo black water rafting tour will have you exploring and tubing through the mysterious Ruakuri Cave. Here you will be given a rubber tube, and you will be taken on an unreal underground adventure you will never forget. Float down the underground river in rubber tubes while admiring the glowworm displays above!
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Follow an expert guide as they lead you through this expansive and amazing village! We'll see all the great and memorable sties from the Shire, including the Green Dragon Inn and field where Bilbo's birthday party was held! Along the way they'll provide exclusive commentary about the films and set, as well as the interesting characters who've visited the set over the years. They will even help take photos of you besides the miniature homes and gardens.
Only included if chosen!
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :1167 Fenton Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
Departure Time :6:45 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Child ages 4–14 half price of adult
- Black Labyrinth: Minimum age 12 years old, minimum weight 99 pounds (45 kg.)
- Black Abyss: Minimum age 16 years old, 99 pounds (45 kg.)
- If doing a Black Abyss or Black Labyrinth Tour, a wet suit will be provided for you. However, please bring swimwear to wear underneath your wetsuit as well as a towel and a warm change of clothes.
- Please note: if you decide to end your day in Auckland and do not want to join the Hobbiton Movie Set Tour you will have two hours at Hobbiton to relax in their cafe.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.