Waitomo Glowworm Caves Small Group Tour from Auckland
Visit the amazing Waitomo Caves, be in awe of the cave formations and the thousands of Glowworms sparkling above you. Unique to New Zealand for over 120 years, Waitomo Caves are a must-see for any traveller.
• Waitomo Glowworm Caves
• Wildlife viewing
• Optional upgrades (see the itinerary section for more details)
While the destinations you will be visiting are truly spectacular, we at Cheeky Kiwi Travel believe it’s our small groups, guides, the journey and the little details that set our tours well apart. Secret stops, wildlife viewings, specially designed vehicles, complementary refreshments and many other pleasant surprises ensure our tours are an experience to remember.
Our tours are led by our famously passionate tour guides, notorious for bringing your journey to life by sharing their stories and rich background knowledge, and run in modern, comfortable minibuses packed with extras ensuring your comfort and safety.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Small Group & Fully Guided Tour
- Entry Tickets - Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Waitomo Glowworm Caves
What's excluded :
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- DVD (available to purchase)
- Optional extras and activities - please select the tour option you want at time of booking
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Auckland Central, Auckland Central, North Island
Your tour starts in New Zealand’s largest city. As we drive out of the city, your guide will not only set the scene for your adventure today, but also point out and guide you past some of the city’s top highlights.
Pass By: Waikato Region, Waikato Region, North Island
Exiting Auckland, we drive south through the stunning Waikato countryside, the most extensive farming area in the world. Encounter stunning scenery, mighty rivers, great photo opportunities, beautiful mountains and several farm animals along the way. During this journey we pass through Taupiri which has many interesting sites of cultural significance including local Maori burial grounds & cultural totem poles.
Stop At: Pirongia, Pirongia, Waikato Region, North Island
After passing through rich countryside and learning about some local history and the New Zealand Land Wars, we stop in this idyllic little town for a quick coffee break.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Otorohanga, New Zealand
Continuing our adventure, we enter Otorohanga “The Kiwiana capital of New Zealand”. See all things Kiwi as you pass through this unique and charming town.
Stop At: Waitomo Glowworm Caves, 39 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo Caves 3943 New Zealand
Arriving at our feature attraction you have several options:
• WAITOMO GLOWWORM CAVES & GROTTO BOAT RIDE (included in tour price). Be guided through the ancient amazing caves seeing many different cave formations then decend further for your Glowworm experience. Unique to New Zealand for over 120 years, these caves are a must-see.
• UPGRADE TO RUAKURI CAVE - Recommended (Additional cost, Summer only or private tour in winter - contact us). NZ's longest guided underground walking tour.
• UPGRADE TO BLACK WATER RAFTING, Black Labyrinth (Additional cost, Summer only or private tour in winter - contact us). The original Waitomo black water tube rafting tour.
• UPGRADE TO THE BLACK ABYSS (Additional cost, Summer only or private tour in winter - please contact us). For the ultimate in adventure caving tours, look no further than the Black Abyss.
*Please note Ruakuri Cave, Black Labyrinth and Black Abyss are cave upgrades instead of Waitomo Glowworm Caves, not in addition to.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Waitomo Big Bird & Miniature Animal Petting Farm, 17 Waitomo Caves Road Rd 7, Otorohanga 3977 New Zealand
On our way out of Waitomo we stop outside Big Bird to see and meet some of our local friendly animals. These guys know our guides well and even though we do not have time to go inside the park, the friendly animals will often come to the fences for a photo or two, thrilling guests.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Auckland, Auckland, North Island
Sadly we must start to head north again but your day is not over with a fully guided return trip to Auckland with secret stops along the way, or add the Otorohanga Kiwi House to enhance your day.
Duration: 5 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Hotel pick-ups are from the below hotels only. If you do not see your pickup location please select the closest one to you to be picked up from. Pick ups start up to 20 mins before your tour time. Please see below what group your hotel is in and what your pick-up time is. Please be waiting in your accommodation's lobby or outside no later than this time to avoid missing your pick up. Guides have multiple pick-ups so can on occasion run up to 10 minutes late. Guides cannot wait for late passengers as it will mean the entire group is at risk of missing out, so please be waiting and ready (5-10 minutes before your listed time is highly recommended).Group 1: 20 minutes before tour start time.Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour, Swiss-Belsuites Victoria ParkGroup 2: 15 minutes before tour start time.Adina Apartments, Copthorne Hotel Auckland, Grand Mercure Hotel, Hilton Hotel Auckland, JUCY Snooze, M Social, Nesuto Celestion Apartment Hotel, Nesuto Stadium Apartments, Pullman Hotel, Queen Street Backpackers, Waldorf Bankside Apartments, SO/AucklandGroup 3: 10 minutes before tour start time.AVANI Metropolis, Barclay Suites, Base Backpackers, CityLife Hotel Auckland, Heritage Hotel Auckland (Hobson Street), ibis Budget Auckland, Rydges Hotel Auckland, Stamford Plaza Auckland.Group 4: 5 minutes before tour start time.Crowne Plaza Auckland, Airedale Boutique Suites Auckland, SkyCity Hotel, SkyCity Grand Hotel, YMCA HostelGroup 5: At tour start time or up to 10 minutes after.Cordis Hotel Auckland, Grand Millennium Hotel, Haka Lodge Auckland City, Kiwi International Hotel, VR Auckland City (Hobson Street), Waldorf St Martins Apartment Hotel, Waldorf Tetra Serviced Apartments, YHA Auckland City BackpackersPassengers that miss their pick up will be required to meet the tour at the tour's first stop at their own expense to continue on the tour. No refunds will be given to late or no show passengers.Auckland Airport (Butterfly Creek) pick up must be requested and approved by our team in writing to receive your pick up time. Pick up time will normally be 15-20 minutes after the tour start time.Ports
- Auckland Airport (pick up from Butterfly Creek, 10 Tom Pearce Drive)
- Ports Of Auckland (Pick up from M Social Hotel)
Departure Time :6:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum 4 passengers required for tour to run. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Children aged 7 years ad below are required to travel in a child safety car seat. If you don't have a car seat one can be provided, with 24 hours’ notice.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.